Sunday, April 13, 2008

To adopt or not to adopt......

Ever since I purchased my own home, I have set my sights on achieving another personal goal--that of owning a pet. More specifically, a dog. I have always loved dogs, but since leaving the home of my parents, I have lived in accommodations that were not "pet friendly". Therefore, finally securing a place that would allow me the opportunity to become a pet owner brought me much joy.

Recently, I have begun this process of adopting a pet in earnest, which means actually putting action to my thoughts and wishes! I pored over the newspaper ads, went online to various websites I knew and talked with lots of people. However, because my "criteria" is somewhat specific, it has been more challenging than I first thought. Due to my increasing age and decreasing willingness to stay up all night, I do not want a puppy. I prefer to appreciate the ground work accomplished by some other dear soul and benefit from their efforts by adopting an older dog. I also am deeply desiring a dachshund--a breed I have loved since childhood. Our family pet Tally was a purebred dachshund who brought us much love and joy. I still miss her today many years after her death. It is my hope to once again find a loving dachshund who will become part of my family.

However, I am already realizing that one must be willing and ready to be " examined" by entities who are the powers that be in this process. I am totally in agreement that there must be careful consideration for potential homes for these pets because many have already had rough experiences and need a loving, stable environment. I guess I just didn't realize how much would be asked of one seeking to enter into pet owner responsiblities. I have learned alot and am sure I will continue to do so as the process procedes. I can only imagine the questions asked of those wishing to adopt children!! However, if pets are connected to those who best suit their needs and who can offer love and care, then the whole process is worthwhile.

Having friends who are already dog owners has been a blessing also. They have been teaching me many things and encouraging me along in this journey. I hope that when the right pet does enter my life, I can rightfully thank all those who helped make it possible.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Your increasing age? Never. You can't possibly get any older. Because that would mean I am getting older as well.

I'm looking forward to your home visit with Kipper Thursday.

connie said...

MJ,
I'm praying for you and the new member of your family...
Connie
GBU