Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A New Experience

On Feb. 2, 2009, my sister had surgery in Alabama. This was the first hospitalization for her. Therefore, neither she nor I really knew what to expect as the days unfolded. I had the opportunity to spend 3 nights at the hospital with her to be of help and comfort. Everyone is right--you don't get to sleep in the hospital!! We were awakened multiple times for various inquiries, vital checks, medications, and whatever else was needed during the wee hours of the day.

Overall, we had wonderful nurses who provided both excellent care and kind, encouraging words. Our patient proved to be a very courageous, strong, and enduring lady. I was and am quite proud of how she managed herself. She tried very hard to do everything asked of her and her patience far outshined mine in some ways.

I experienced hospital food--or lack thereof--no, jello is not always available there--it took a whole day to obtain some!! No bar-b-que and fried okra is not a welcoming 1st solid food meal for someone who's just had adominal surgery!! (Okay, so her hungry big sister did eat it). And yes, one can survive briefly on saltine crackers and water.

God has blessed. My sister is recovering well at home now, anxious to regain her strength and independence but willing to wait as necessary. She is able to enjoy real food and her own bed which certainly lifts up anyone's spirit.

I truly am grateful to my work, my church and my friends here that took up my slack while I was gone to Alabama. Many have expressed continued prayers for her and we thank you.
God is so good. We know better days are ahead but even during these "not so great" ones, God is with us and supplying what is needed.

I hope it's a very long time before anyone else I know has to experience a hospital stay. But if they do, I know God will prove as loving and faithful then as He has been to us.

Stay well!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I understand. I've been there with my parents. It's great when work, family, church are supportive.

I'm praying for your sister.

Blessings!

Sheryl