Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Would it really help?

We're now into Exodus in our chronological reading. I have read this book several times in my lifetime. As I've read it this time though, I have been more aware of how often God told Moses the same information about Moses' new task/role as the deliverer of the Israelite people. Many times God spelled out the exact things that would happen before, during and after the exodus. He gave Moses specific directions and many times promised His own presence to be with him. God even told Moses this whole adventure with Pharaoh would be successful!! But what did Moses do with such knowledge?? As far as I can tell, not much. He continued to highlight his own feelings of inadequacy and lack of skills, etc. He continued to see the problems (real and imagined) rather than look at the big picture God was giving him. It was as if he was almost deaf to what God was trying to tell him. Moses should have claimed this new calling with joy, with strength and with faith-filled purpose and with great enthusiasm. Regardless of Moses' response, God pursued His purpose to equip and use Moses to bring freedom for His people. Moses' opinions about himself didn't stop God from using him anyway!!

I found myself asking aloud---what would I do and what do I do when God does choose to give me explicit information about a task He's asking me to do for Him or with Him? Don't I do the same things as Moses--immediately highlight my own faults, lackings and hesitations. Does it really matter that God tells me promises and details. Sadly I must admit it, I act as if it doesn't matter. God gives me plain truths in His written word today and guides me by the Spirit in my heart and prayers and yet I "tune these out" to listen to my own shortcomings. Praise God that He doesn't stop giving me opportunities for service. I hope that like Moses, I will do the task anyway--exercising the faith I do have and ever asking for it to be increased.

Happy reading!!

1 comment:

Abba's Girl said...

Great post...I am trying not to check commentaries, study notes, or any other study aid as I go thru the Bible chronologically...I want to see where I am with God as we experience what He said to His people...I find myself turning deaf ears to God quite often because I am already thinking about what to tell Him.

Glad your sister is recovering well.

Annette H