Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Creative Vacation Week

This past week I have been on vacation although I have not travelled out of town except for one night. A friend and I usually take a week together during the year. This year we decided to stay close to home due to the rising cost of gas and everything else and the limited budgets we both are on. We tried to find interesting things nearby that we had not experienced or had not in a long time. It is amazing what Louisville and the surrounding areas can offer. Thanks to Derby, this week was designated as a "2 for 1" week in many local attractions which certainly helped stretch our vacation dollars.

We spent Monday-Tuesday at Shakertown in Pleasant Hill, KY. The weather was gorgeous and the grounds were are well. We learned alot about that group and enjoyed seeing how they lived their daily life. Makes me truly appreciate what I have now, although I do respect the ideas they promoted such as the equality of gender, race and economics, etc. Our meals there were absolutely delicious and bountiful! Can we spell gluttony??? Our accommodations were lovely, yet simple in nature. Somehow losing games of Scrabble wasn't as bad when you were in such wonderful surroundings!!

My friend and I enjoyed other local attractions and tried some new places to eat meals. We also enjoyed simple things like Scrabble games, the zoo, and attending a school band's spring concert. I enjoyed being able to sleep in my own bed at night and anticipating something fun the next day. My dog Kipper also liked the fact that I was home throughout the week.

While we weren't able to visit one of our favorite places like Gatlinburg, it was still a very enjoyable week. Spending time with those we love is always special and even the ordinary becomes extraordinary when shared with a friend.

Getting back into the work routine will be challenging I am sure. However, I am grateful for my job and will be glad to return.

I am grateful for a good week. Hope each of you have a vacation opportunity sometime soon!

1 comment:

connie said...

MJ
I'm glad your week off was great, and that you had the time to just have fun...
Connie
GBU